Master Lock 178D Set Your Own Combination Padlock, 1 Pack, Black

  • Indoor and outdoor padlock is best used as a school locker lock, gym lock, and gate lock, providing protection and security from theft
  • Set your own four-digit combination lock for easy combination recall; combination change tool included
  • Combo lock is constructed with a solid body for strength and weatherability, hardened steel shackle for cut resistance
  • 2 in. (51 mm) wide lock body; 5/16 in. (8 mm) diameter shackle with 1 in. (25 mm) length, 1 in. (25 mm) width
  • Shackle is preset to open on 0-0-0-0. Some instructions may incorrectly state shackle opens on l-o-c-k. See user manual in technical specifications section of this page for correct combination reset instructions.

I have purchased a number of these and none have failed. I have been using them indoors, however, so I can't comment about how they would stand up to the weather. The one drawback is I have to remember to tell people to push down on the shackle to unlock it because many people don't know to do it and have trouble opening it for that reason.

This is a review of the Master Lock 178D Set Your Own Combo Padlock. I will do my normal list of specs-cool features and then list a summary as to my thoughts after using. -This is made of die cast metal and has a black finish to help protect it from the outside elements.) -It has a 2” wide die cast case and a 1” shackle. Diameter of the shackle is 5/16”. -Comes with 1 change key. -Operate by using a four digit number combination you set. -Unlike a lot of locks, this is a very well built solid lock designed for outdoor use. -To use, enter the combo and push down the shackle and then pull it up to unlock. Summary – I am using these on my two sheds. The combo is easy to set. You simply unlock the lock – open the shackle, insert the key – turn 90 degrees, set the combo of your choice and then remove the key. I really like this feature as I wanted my two sheds to have the same combo so I do not forget and for simplicity. The movement of the dials has a slight clicking and bump feel as you move the numbers vs. being an easy roll. (Might get smoother with time.) I like this as it is easy to lock your digits in and know they are aligned right. Whatever you do, do not forget the combo. The key is only for changing the code and will not open the lock. I am very happy with this lock and all master locks in general so far. Good make and reliable. Highly recommend.

Heavy duty lock. This is larger than you think it is. It is larger and heavier than a standard combination lock. I user this to lock a shed, so it sees the elements without any protection. Other than the numbers taking a tiny bit more force to turn, this lock has shown no signs of falling apart or corrosion anywhere. There is a small key included required to set your code. The tip of it got bent while setting my code. It is still useable, but it seems they should have used a better metal for the key. It should still work, and i probably won't change the combination too frequently anyways. That's the only issue i have with this lock, but it's not enough to take away a star as it has performed very well outdoors.

There were a few weeks at the gym where local thugs were breaking all the luggage type locks in the locker room to steal the contents. One day I found my lock broken but all of my things were still inside. They must have got spooked by someone entering the locker room, thank god! I had my iPad in the locker that day also so I was very happy to buy a heavy lock. After looking at a lot of different locks I knew the keyed entry was not the way to go. I needed a heavy lock that provided combination entry. This is the heaviest lock (as far as I know) that can fit in the standard gym locker hole. I know this because I tried some other heavy locks and they wouldn't fit in the hole for the lock on the locker. If you need a gym lock this is the one and only to guard against thieves.

If you're like me, your key chain has about twenty or thirty keys on it. So, when I'm looking for my house key I have to fumble through all of the other keys until I finally find the right key. So, I thought I would try the lock with a combination lock on it. So, far I really like it's convenience. It also removed one of my keys from my heavy and cumbersome key chain. It's easy to put in the numbers to the lock and the lock is thick and strong. So far, I really like it a lot and plan on buying more combination locks for other areas of my house and free up the need for a key. I recommend this lock in place of a keyed lock.

I needed a lock to secure a locker in my local YMCA. This very simple lock does exactly that. Do I expect it to hold up to bolt cutters or serious manipulation? No. But that is exactly what I expect from a simple, cheap, straight forward lock. It is enough to secure my belongings in a locker room--that is all I was looking for. The lock comes with a key object that allows you to set the combo for the lock. I like how simple it all is. Also when it comes to opening the lock it is a lot more straight forward to open than the turning locks. It is easy-to-use for day-to-day gym activities. Dimensions can be seen in the photos I have uploaded. Pros: *Secure enough to protect a locker in a locker room *Easy to use *Quick to use Cons: *None Additional Considerations: If you are looking to secure something more valuable that is not in a high traffic area like a locker room--thus being exposed to more manipulation or bolt cutters--this is not the lock you want. This lock is very simple and used purely to secure stuff in a locker room setting where you will not have someone coming in with bolt cutters getting into your stuff. If you need something more secure, look elsewhere. Overall: 5/5 stars (>=.5 rounds up, <.5 rounds down) => 5 stars If you have any further questions regarding the product in my review please leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Simple to set. Just a few things to keep in mind: 1) only use the key when it is unlocked and swung open, with the active combo DIALED-IN. 2) when the combo is dialed in, you open it by squeezing the jaws down first, and it pops right open -- don't try to pull it open, it'll just stay latched. 3) spin the combo while it is open leave it hanging, open, on the gate/door without revealing your code (don't leave your code dialed-in after it is open) 4) it only locks when your code is NOT dialed-in... so... spin the dials first, then close it to lock it. Simple. Easy. Cheap brands of combo locks are super easy to pick by first actuating the latch mechanism (pushing it down so that it is "sprung" to release) and then slowly turning the dials to feel the slight resistance differences in the dial's movement as the right number aligns with the release position (some reveal the combo easier with backwards rolls). Not these Master locks (178D and 175D). These are a great choice for outdoor sheds, gates, or gym lockers. There is a "dimple" on the back so that as it hangs, lifting it up puts the numbers upright. In a low situation, where you'd have to bend way over or down, hang it with the dimple in front so that when you raise the lock upwards (while your basically leaned-over and upside-down) the numbers will appear to you as right-side up.

We lock our front and back gates with these locks. They are in the elements, unprotected from sun/rain. The last ones (same model) were in service since 1994(!), and were good reliable easy to use locks. They were 'used' (unlocked/locked) several times a week. I decided to replace them because the numbers on the combination wheels were becomming a bit corroded and difficult to read, they were getting more difficult to turn (not that bad though), and the lock mecahnism wasn't working as well as it used to. Sometimes the lock didn't latch when locking, and you had to bang it on the gate to get it to latch. I tried lubricating the locks with triflow, which helped for a couple weeks, but then became stingy again. I thought that after 19 years, I could afford to buy a couple more. So I've been using the two replacements for a month now, and they're great. The numbers are easier to read, the wheels are easy to turn, and the lock mechanism works perfectly. I assume these will last ~20 years like the last set. By the way, it's a bit counter-intuitive, but to open the lock, set the dials to the combination, then push the shackle *IN* to disengage the lock. Some people set the number, then pull, but that's not it works.

My 18+ year old Master Lock Padlock, which I use multiple times a day, has just now started to get a bit grumpy. So, as I do when I need anything, I come to Amazon to check out the deals and the price on this padlock is great! I'll be thrilled to get 18 years out of this one! PROS - - great price - very durable - it's super easy to set your own combination - I didn't have to leave my house to get it! :) CONS - - not a one! ;-) I will update my review if needed. I recommend this padlock and will purchase again if I need another lock for something else, but I fully expect this lock to last many years!

Very easy to set the combo. It's a bit tricky to open and close the thing if you aren't accustomed to it. To open, you need to put in the right combo, press the lock upward, then it springs open. To close, you need to first scramble the combo and then close the lock. It's easy once you do it once, but it's not intuitive. For example, I can't just tell someone, "Hey, can you go out to the garage and grab the extra propane tank? The code is XYZ." I have to add extra instructions for opening and closing. W.r.t. how weather-proof it is, I have this outdoors and exposed to the elements and it's held up decent for the first couple of months. I'll come back to revise my review if this changes over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cách làm sốt caramel bơ

Candle Making Kit, DIY Candles Craft Tools,1pcs Candle Make Pouring Pot,50pcs Candle Wicks, 50pcs Candle Wicks Sticker and 2pcs 3-Hole Candle Wicks Holder

Daily Aries Horoscope March 26 (26/03)